Sunday, January 27, 2008

Assignment 2

The first course toward my leadership certificate was “Planning & Evaluation” (EDEM 646) with Professor Ken Robertson.

The purpose of the course was to improve our strategic planning skills. Throughout the course we were led through the steps of developing a school success plan. A template was given to us and by course end each of us had a plan ready to use in our school. This proved extremely valuable to me as I had just started as principal and needed help.

We discussed the need for time taken to plan. Evaluation was learned to be essential, both quantitative and qualitative, to ensure that the plan was regularly revised and steered so as to reach student success. Michael Fullan in his article, Leadership for the 21st Century, states that hope is necessary for success in today’s schools. During a presentation in this first course my colleagues and I referred to a 1972 scientist who asked the question “Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas?” Fullan’s article and the need for HOPE made me think of our presentation. We concluded that for change to occur, educational communities (all partners) must communicate and collaborate regularly.

That said, my second course was, “Leadership in Action” with Ted Wall. During the Fall of 2007, I had to read and discuss theoretical and professional articles (Ted did an interesting job in preparing the articles. I never felt overwhelmed with the readings but they did spark much reflection in my daily life at school.), to consider recent ideas on leadership expertise and the change process and consider the appropriateness of applying them in school settings, to reflect on the ideas and practices discussed with a special focus on the assumptions upon which they were based, to develop a personal framework of leadership expertise from which to consider my own development as an educational leader, and to continue to develop the leadership skills that are required to provide effective leadership in educational settings.

My third and present course is “Education Resource Management” with Sam Bruzzese. Each course certainly helps deal with my daily challenges. One link I am making since starting this session is that each course has helped me become a better leader. One difference I notice with Sam’s course is that I am realizing the changes that have taken place in the role of the leader. I was aware of this change but in my present reflections I am now seeking to know more. I wish to learn new ways to maximize student success and still maintain a personal healthy balance. Much discussion today is concerning the global health of the students and school. Are the managing teams keeping healthy?

No comments: