This is my third year as principal in my small school on the Gaspé. Initially I thought that that an eight hour day would be sufficient time to handle all the required principal responsibilities. Surprise, surprise!!
I completed the McRel Balanced Leadership Profile survey today. I chose as an improvement initiative that of school culture. As time passes I am starting to understand the needs of the school. I feel that to create a better place to learn our culture needs to change.
As can be seen from my previous paragraph, one thing that needs to change is the ME. I truly believe in site based management and a team that collaborates in managing all aspects of the school. Time must be planned into our PD so that we can work together. The survey today helped point out some of my own areas to consider in changing the culture of NCHS. One of the great things about this site is that we will be able to use it for the year.
From the survey report it was pointed out that an accurate prediction was made in reference to the magnitude of the change for our school. It was suggested that regular conversations be held with teachers, individually and collectively about the change. Bolstering the initiative with optimism and enthusiasm was needed. I should actively encourage and support new ideas and innovations. I must model perseverance in face of the current realities. The impact that new initiatives have on the staff must be monitored and evaluated.
This will certainly be an interesting tool to help improve our school.
No comments:
Post a Comment