Yesterday I took the time to complete the on-line survey. This proved to be a very interesting exercise for me.
Openness to change and the hope to improve are two key qualities that are essential for reform to happen. One of my colleagues left this morning for B.C. to attend a training session with Gordon Neufeld, a Canadian developmental psychologist. This person chose to do this at her own expense. This lady is 59 years old and her goal later in her career is to hold professional development workshops for parents. She has witnessed the need in our community and wishes to help. In my opinion, this is a true demonstration of a person ready for reform.
I am presently reading, Robert Eaker's and Richard & Rebecca Dufour's book, "Getting Started". Professional learning communities are discussed and suggestions are made as to how to make cultural changes in our schools. They suggest four main priorities. The first being a focus on learning, next is a collaborative culture, a focus on results and finally, a provision of timely, relevant information.
Completing the survey has helped to clarify our weaknesses and strengths. This is already motivating me to reflect and search for new ideas to promote and boost reform at NCHS. Our community partners are regularly using the school for activities but much work has to be done in ensuring that the school vision is shared by all. That negative image is still persisting. Thus I realize that this weakness must be strengthened prior to real reform. I will use the "Monitoring the Implementation of the Reform and QEP" document to help in our move toward a PLC. The criteria mentioned in the survey will be a great guide. This is very exciting!!
Having the time to read the rubrics has given me a much better idea of where I think we need to go. I will share this with my staff and partners in continuing to revise our “Living Document”, strategic plan.
1 comment:
Hi Daryl,
Excellent -- I'm glad you're are making connections. It will be interesting to see if you pick up ideas from the team building presentation.
Post a Comment